How long will it take for my business to rank on Google search?
This is a very common question that we hear from local business owners.
The answer: It depends on a variety of unique factors; however, I will provide ranges on how long it typically takes to rank in local search below.
New Local Business:
- New local business in a low-competition niche should expert three to six months of SEO work
- New local business in a competitive niche should expect six to nine months of SEO work
- New local business in a highly competitive niche should expect nine to sixteen months of SEO work
Existing Business with accurate listing on Google:
- Existing business in a low-competition niche should expect two to six months of SEO work
- Existing local business in a competitive niche should expect three to nine months of SEO work
- Existing local business in a highly competitive niche should expect six to twelve months of SEO work
The important point to remember is that while there are certain guidelines that Google publicly discloses as the determination for positions on local search, in many cases, when you look at businesses that are ranked above you, it can be difficult to understand the reasoning. So, we ask you to consider the ranges listed above as guidelines.
Let’s say you have a new spa in a big city and you want to rank high for the keyword “facial.” The keyword “facial” tends to be competitive and we may guide you to allow us initially work to rank your business for other, easier terms in your city such as, peels, microdermabrasion, or microneedling. This way, you will get calls quickly for your specialized services while you wait for your main niche keyword to rank on Google. Our long-term initiative would be to get your spa to rank for “facial” however, that could take six to nine months to complete.
Feel free to ask us a question or book a consultation appointment on our Contact Us page.